WVHIN Health Information Exchange
Welcome to the latest advancement in health care – and the opportunity to be part of it. Join physicians, hospitals, labs, health plans and others in a statewide network that:
- Connects physicians, labs, and other health care providers – and the patients they serve
- Saves providers time and reduces administrative costs
- Supports quality initiatives (i.e. ACI, Patient Centered Medical Home, etc)
- Connects directly to Public Health for required reporting
- Is the gateway to West Virginia’s advance directive registry
- Allows providers to send referrals electronically, eliminating the need for faxing referral forms
WVHIN’s HIE service is instrumental in securely getting patient health information to health care providers at the point of care near real time. One connection to the WVHIN’s HIE allows providers to access information from other providers and systems connected to the HIE.
HIE from a Systems Perspective
Disparate electronic health record (EHR) systems and other health information technology systems that cannot communicate with one another are able to share patient health information securely and seamlessly due to WVHIN’s HIE service.
HIE from a Provider Workflow Perspective
One connection to WVHIN’s HIE allows providers to access needed patient health information from other providers connected to the WVHIN and also perform public health reporting requirements.
Benefits to Providers
Some of the benefits providers may experience as a participant in the WVHIN’s HIE include:
WVHIN services can assist providers in meeting ACI requirements related to Public Health Reporting, such as Syndromic Surveillance and Reporting for Immunizations, and Electronic Labs for eligible professionals and eligible hospitals.
- Summary of Care – Provide summary of care record for transitions and referrals through WVDirect
- Patient Access – Provide online access to health information by using WVDirect to send information to a patient’s Personal Health Record (PHR)
- Advanced Directives – Provide access to the WV e-Directive Registry
- Reduce development of multiple costly interfaces as one connection to WVHIN’s HIE enables you to connect with other health care providers, labs, the WV Bureau for Public Health, WV e-Directive Registry, etc.
- Increase your potential to achieve Advancing Care Information and associated incentive payments
- Reduce operating costs associated with faxing, mailing, copying and storing paper records
- Receive notifications in near real-time when a patient has a hospital encounter
- Receive the latest patient health information in near real time at the point of care in an ORGANIZED view that is EASY TO READ
- Look up health information on a patient from any encounters of care with the click of a mouse
- Receive information automatically into your Electronic Health Record (EHR) (if you choose/if your EHR is capable)
- Electronically report required public health information to the WV Bureau for Public Health through one interface and eliminate duplicate manual data entry
- Receive advance directive information through WV e-Directive Registry
- Access to WVHIN’s clinical messaging solution, WVDirect
Maintaining Privacy and Security
- WVHIN’s HIE is built to enable role-based access so only authorized individuals can view patient information on a need-to-know basis
- Unlike paper record storage systems, WVHIN’s HIE tracks who accesses or changes information and maintains an audit log
Increasing Your Ability to Participate in Innovative Health Care Delivery Initiatives
- Use HIE as a tool for participating in Patient Centered Medical Homes, Accountable Care Organizations and similar initiatives
- Manage unique patient populations more efficiently and effectively
By becoming a member of the WVHIN’s Health Information Exchange (HIE), you can seamlessly share and access patient health information with other network providers for patient treatment purposes.
Becoming a WVHIN participant is simple and easy.
The WVHIN requires a Participation Agreement to be completed and submitted before the connection process begins. Once the agreement is submitted, the WVHIN staff will review and be in contact to discuss details and connection process. Also, the WVHIN can assist your organization in determining its Participant Type(s) and advise your organization on which forms must be completed.